The Iowa Concealed Carry Law
724.9 Firearm training program.
1. An applicant shall demonstrate knowledge of firearm safety by any of the following
a. Completion of any national rifle association handgun safety training course.
b. Completion of any handgun safety training course available to the general public offered by a law enforcement agency, community college, college, private or public institution or organization, or firearms training school, utilizing instructors certified by the national rifle association or the department of public safety or another state's department of public safety, state police department, or similar certifying body.
c. Completion of any handgun safety training course offered for security guards, investigators, special deputies, or any division or subdivision of a law enforcement or security enforcement agency approved by the department of public safety.
d. Completion of small arms training while serving with the armed forces of the United States as evidenced by any of the following:
(1) For personnel released or retired from active duty, possession of an honorable discharge or general discharge under honorable conditions.
(2) For personnel on active duty or serving in one of the national guard or reserve components of the armed forces of the United States, possession of a certificate of completion of basic training with a service record of successful completion of small arms training and qualification.
e. Completion of a law enforcement agency firearms training course that qualifies a peace officer to carry a firearm in the normal course of the peace officer's duties.
2. Evidence of qualification under this section may be documented by any of the following:
a. A photocopy of a certificate of completion or any similar document indicating completion of any course or class identified in subsection 1.
b. An affidavit from the instructor, school, organization, or group that conducted or taught a course or class identified in subsection 1 attesting to the completion of the course or class by the applicant.
c. A copy of any document indicating participation in any firearms shooting competition.
3. An issuing officer shall not condition the issuance of a permit on training requirements that are not specified in or that exceed the requirements of this section.
[C79, 81, §724.9]
2010 Acts, ch 1178, §7, 19
Referred to in §80A.13, 724.7, 724.10, 724.11